Megan’s Gorgeous Calorierich Chocolate Cake
At least one of our daughters has turned the lockdown to good use and is obviously aiming to take the ‘Kitchen Goddess of the Year’ award in her category.
I must admit I’ve been passing on to her, snapshots of inspirational dishes that keep appearing when I log into Facebook and she’s obviously been inspired and is producing some great, delicious and healthy meals.
Which has nothing to do with this edition’s Cooks Column, because although it’s great and delicious, it can’t really fit into the ‘healthy’ category - except that my Kitchen Goddess aspirant - gave me the recipe.
- 200g chopped butter
- 300g good dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/4 cup water
- 1tsp vanilla
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup SR flour
- Preheat oven to 160ºC. Grease and line a 20cm round tin x 6cm deep (*). Put butter, 200g chocolate and 1/4 cup water into microwave on medium for 1 minute at a time, stirring with metal spoon until melted.
- Add sifted cocoa, stir until smooth. Stir in vanilla, sugar and egg. Sift flour and gently combine.
- Pour half mixture into baking tin. Sprinkle 50g chopped chocolate on top. Cover with remaining mixture. Sprinkle remaining chopped chocolate on top.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes. Skewer should come out with moist crumbs. Cool in tin.
- Serve with fresh cream and strawberries (if you don’t think you have enough calories in the cake itself!).
- It stores in the fridge for a good week.
- * As is usual when I make a cake, I baked my mixture in a slice tin. This way it doesn’t have to rise and look like a cake should. Besides it sort of ends up looking like a ‘Brownie’ and is easier to cut and serve either as just something to nibble on with a cuppa or served as a dessert with fresh cream and berries.